Ramen Noodle

Tuesday, April 1, 2008


In all the world I don't think that there is a food that has transcended as many cultures as the Ramen Noodle. Ramen Noodle first got its start in the 17th century in Japan during the Meiji Period (which is rougly around when the samurai were dying out). But it didn't become a worldwide phenomenon until 1958 when the great Momofuku Ando created Nissin Foods and the Ramen Noodle. It was actually voted the greatest Japanese invention of the twentieth century(Hah take that Nintendo!)


I love Ramen Noodle and I will probably eat it twice to three times a week, and when I do I have a ritualistic way to cook it. First I boil the water (a given I guess), then once the water is
 boiling I add the ramen. Once the Ramen is Semi-Soft, I add one large egg, but you have to be careful that you discard the shell very quickly because if you wait to break the yolk the boiling water will cook it, and you will have to start all over again. Once the egg is stirred into the boiling water, then you must put some frozen corn in(you can't use canned corn because it sucks). Then once everything is good to go, drain the water, that is the key to maintaining good flavor. Once the water is drained you put in the flavor packet and stir it in. This last step was just added last month. SIRACHA Hot Sauce. This can get dangerous if you don't be
 careful as I learned tonight. Sometimes you have to squeeze the bottle to get the crap out at first but if you do this in the air(like tonight) it can explode, and get in our eye, and that really sucks. After all that is done, Bon Apetite. 


This process was perfected over half a decade so if yours isn't as sophisticated don't fret, because over time you too can have the perfect Ramen recipe. In light of this I would also like to know how other people cook their Ramen Noodles. 


5 comments:

Michelle said...

If I let him I think that Collin would eat ramen everynight. He really has perfected the art of ramen cooking :) It is very gormet.

Love ya babe keep the noodles coming.

Anna said...

that sounds so very painful. I haven't had ramen for years, but it sounds very good now. I too like egg, but I've never tried corn. hmmmm I'll have to see. sorry about the eye. Happy fathers day tomorrow.

Brandt said...

Yeah I do not eat Ramen at all. I just have a hard time with it. I ate it a lot when I was a child, but now that I am a big boy I get the Japanese Noodles stuff at my store. Sure it cost a doller more then Ramen (so it is $1.10) but it does taste better.

Jared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared said...

I too have missed out on Ramen in the my diet for quite some time. Thanks for the recipe. You didn't mention what flavor the packet is though...my personal favorite used to be oriental, I didn't like the beef but chicken was ok. Congrats on your cute baby girl...she'll be eating Ramen (minus the hot sauce I'm sure) before you know it. Watch out for corn diapers though!