Full Circle

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sometimes there are those moments when you realize that you are getting older. Today was one of those for me. When I grew up my dad had this HP financial calculator (he still has it today), that was so fancy. The main reason I thought that, was I couldn't understand how to use the damn thing. I thought that my Dad was so cool because he could use it. My dad probably doesn't know this, but I used to sneak it and try to figure out how to use it. I was fascinated with it as a little kid. Well now I have become my Dad. I am starting my Global finance class on Monday, and I went a bought a financial calculator.(of course I had to buy an HP) When I opened it up and started pressing the buttons, I was immediately taken back 20 years. The buttons feel exactly the same as my Dad's calculator, so you can imagine how happy I am about that.(that was the thing I remembered most about his calculator) Sometimes it surprises me how much like my Dad I become everyday.

2 comments:

grandma blair said...

I heard a saying once, it goes like this..
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall I am my Father After all.(it really said Mother, I just substituded Father)
you are a great guy, I am excited for you to be doing so well

Max said...

I'll be surprised if your calc cost less than your dad's and does more.
I remember my first business calculator. It was an HP 33BA (business analyst). I don't remember how much it cost, but the same thing would definately cost less today. I remember when a guy at work got a calculator watch (with about 16 buttons) We all thought it was cool, but I think it cost about a $100 25 years ago. I imagine now you can get a Barbie Doll or GI Joe that comes with an added value watch that does more than that for about $20 total.