Short Timers

Tuesday, May 13, 2008


I can't believe how fast time flies. It seems like just yesterday I was cramming for the GMAT and trying to decided where I wanted to go to school. Now in a little less than a month the time will be upon Michelle, Delilah and I to embark on a new stage in our lives. I wanted to take this opportunity to let everybody know just exactly what is going on with my program.

School officially starts June 30th in Columbia, South Carolina. I would be lying if I said that I felt totally prepared for it, there are going to be so many talented people in my group. They only accept 200 new students a year, but I have been in contact with lots and have already made tons of friends so I think that we will all be a very close group. From June 30th to around the middle of December I will be taking classes everyday (13 total in that time frame). Things are going to be very busy so if anybody wants to come a visit Michelle I am sure it will be welcomed. 
After that first six months is done I will start the next leg of the journey by embarking to China. Since this is an IMBA (international master's of business administration) we are required to get a foreign language under our belts. Our school has programs all over the world, but about 10 of us will be going to China to study Mandarin Chinese in Beijing which is the Capital city, except it has 5000 years of history behind it. We will be heading to China in January of 2009 and I will be done with my language training in January of 2010. After that we are required to intern in our country for another 6 months. We will hopefully be heading to Beijing, Tianjian, or Shanghai to this. 

We will finally be heading back to the states in August of 2010 to resume classes in Columbia, South Carolina. China is a wonderful place, and if you can please get the money to fly there and visit us, because you will not forget it, and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a magnificent culture that is nothing like America. From August of 2010 to May of 2011 I will be finishing my IMBA in Columbia, and be looking for a job. I know after typing this all out it seems a little daunting, but I feel that it will be worth it in the end. South Carolina is consistently ranked #1 or #2 in the world for international business, so if anybody else is thinking about studying international business this is the place for you. Any way I hope that this gives our families a better idea about what the Shaw family will be doing over the next 3 years. I have added a link in the title of the blog to the Moore School of Business if anybody would like more information about the school or would just like to see what Michelle, Delilah, and I have gotten ourselves into. 

3 comments:

grandma blair said...

Collin,
I am so excited for you to embark on this new adventure, but I do have to admitt that I am going to miss all of you terribly. I know you will take good care of your little family, and I know you love and care for Michelle. We will try really hard to save our money to come and visit you, both in South Carolina and in China

Daniel said...

You better not come back until it's your face that's plastered outside the forbidden city.

red said...

That's pretty awesome. It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life. We'll miss you guys a lot. But as soon as we can we'll come see you. I would LOVE to come see you guys in China. You'll do awesome. Just remember...you're good enough you're smart enough and Darn it people like you.

p.s. when we get money we'll give you some. graduate school is a crash course in poverty.